Author Topic: Faster Than Light (IC, It's about time)  (Read 2358 times)

0 Members and 0 Guests are viewing this topic.

Wheel-Son

  • POST LORD
  • **********
  • Posts: 2,312
  • Dapperness +15/-53
  • Location: i dunno man above ground
    • View Profile
Re: Faster Than Light (IC, It's about time)
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2016, 12:38:22 am »
Charo says, "Can't hurt to head over there I suppose." he heads to the location.
I am no longer legitimately considering leaving this forum

A Blitzkrieg of Butts

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 326
  • Dapperness +5/-4
  • Attacking you with butts since 2016
  • Location: St. Paul
    • View Profile
Re: Faster Than Light (IC, It's about time)
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2016, 11:42:42 am »
(I'm assuming Collin is with Charo)

"Yeah, plus I'm fuckin' hungry" Grunted Collin.
Every tuba you touch melts into cats.

How the fuck do you dream in ASCII?

Quote from: Sir Loin of Beef
Are we in need of an unfortunate accident involving a sound system and an errant 120mm shell?

ApatheticExcuse

  • God Teir
  • *
  • Posts: 1,043
  • Dapperness +2/-3
    • View Profile
Re: Faster Than Light (IC, It's about time)
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2016, 04:44:11 pm »
Roland McCall & Camille Viau

"He's still pretty young. I'm guessing we'll be in for a little more high adventure than we were with his father." Snow withdraws the cigarettes again, and this time takes one out and lights it. "You want one of these? Qutting is a bitch. I got some advice from a real doc while we were in port, and he suggested that I always keep some on hand, but keep telling myself to put off having one for an hour every time I think about it."

She inhales, and coughs harshly for a moment. As she wipes her mouth, her vibrant, youthful appearance momentarily shifts to something approximating her true age. Her demeanor returns quickly, but for some reason, the whole display is more than a little awkward. "For how well that's working, I'm thinking I might as well have just let the Butcher chop me open like he offered."

The lift emits a beep, and the doors glide open, entering directly into the main medical bay. It's a fairly simple facility, sterile and brightly lit, and is mostly empty. There is an obviously dead crew member laying on a slab near the back of the room, his legs missing, and his skull opened up - it appears as though some terrible accident befell him, and his autopsy was abandoned mid-way. The only other person present is a young woman, who is either slightly dead or very soundly asleep on one of the examination tables. Her clothes are of a vaguely military style, and a small rank insignia denotes her as the ship's Sergeant At Arms. Thankfully, there is no sign of the Ship's Surgeon, affectionately known as the Butcher.

Snow give Roland an impish grin, then moves over to her, gently leans down, and yells commandingly into her ear. "WAKE UP VIAU! THAT UTA FUCK IS GONE!"



Charo and Collin

The corridor leading to the bar is so filthy that it seems to absorb the dim lighting being emitted from the lamps above you. You come to the entrance to the canteen, according to the note you were given. There's no markers denoting it as such, but the sounds of raucous laughter filtering through the poorly sealed entrance tell you you've probably got the right place.

The door pushes open with a harsh, grating sound, and immediately all conversations stop and all eyes turn towards Charo and Collin. They do not look particularly welcoming, and you notice a group of very large, very scarred men sitting in one corner talking quietly while motioning towards you.

Looking around the "bar" does not give you hopes for good drinks and fine cusine - a very, very old porno flickers in and out of existence on a heavily damaged display that occupies most of the far wall, and the room itself looks and smells like it might be a re-purposed fuel bunker. The serving counter itself is probably the most ornate thing in the whole room - it's covered with mostly unbroken mirrors, and a marginally more reliable display above it lists off the simple, utterly unhelpful menu.

Quote from:  The Menu

Food:

- Corpse-Starch - 16 CR
- Meat Of The Day - 150 CR
- Greens Of The Day - 473 CR

Drinks:

- Booze - 10 CR
- Water - Free, see the bathroom attendant


"The fuck do you want?" The bartender grunts. "Don't officers have their own fancy fucking eatery on deck 17?"



The Bridge

Jupiter leaves the viewport as the ship completes it's turn and moves into open space. You can see the flashes of warp Gates firing as the Iliad slowly chugs out of the planet's gravitational well.

Mark moves to the command consoles and begins plotting the course to the Verin system. It's a fairly simple task - the co-ordinates are known, and he manages to find a route requiring only a few stops to re-adjust the Iliad's mass, estimating the arrival time as just a few days. Engrossed in his work, he does not notice the junior officer standing behind him until he calculations are complete.

"We're in position to make the jump, sir. Just give the word."

(I'm not gonna bother to detail this roll. It was more than good enough.)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 05:04:17 pm by ApatheticExcuse »
Gone. Cheers guys.

guest48

  • Guest
Re: Faster Than Light (IC, It's about time)
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2016, 05:23:39 pm »
Camille stirs, slowly sitting up.   "Ah, good.   Thought he'd never leave.   Did our new captain manage to not get us week-long patrols in empty space this time?"   She yawns, blinking a few times to clear her vision.   "McCall.   I somehow doubt that a leg injury requires a Reverend, but your presence is appreciated."

Shuffling off the slab, Camille winces as she stands up.   "I presume I need to talk to our new captain, then?"

RedVulnus

  • POST LORD
  • **********
  • Posts: 2,312
  • Dapperness +20/-4
    • View Profile
Re: Faster Than Light (IC, It's about time)
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2016, 05:36:11 pm »
Roland shook his head and said "No, I doubt a leg injury does require a reverend, though the poor kid on the table over there might need me for burial rights later. I just figured I'd check in here, figure most folk that end up here would rather see me then the Butcher. How is the leg doing by the way?"

A Blitzkrieg of Butts

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 326
  • Dapperness +5/-4
  • Attacking you with butts since 2016
  • Location: St. Paul
    • View Profile
Re: Faster Than Light (IC, It's about time)
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2016, 05:47:22 pm »
"Hey, I don't like your fucking tone, were just lost." Said Collin, getting in his face.
Every tuba you touch melts into cats.

How the fuck do you dream in ASCII?

Quote from: Sir Loin of Beef
Are we in need of an unfortunate accident involving a sound system and an errant 120mm shell?

Wheel-Son

  • POST LORD
  • **********
  • Posts: 2,312
  • Dapperness +15/-53
  • Location: i dunno man above ground
    • View Profile
Re: Faster Than Light (IC, It's about time)
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2016, 09:03:05 pm »
Charo puts an arm inbetween Collin and the bartender, he says, "Don't start anyfink, cap'n will 'ave our 'eads. We're here t' grab a bit 'a grub and leave, alright?"
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 09:04:51 pm by Wilson »
I am no longer legitimately considering leaving this forum
Like Like x 1 View List

ApatheticExcuse

  • God Teir
  • *
  • Posts: 1,043
  • Dapperness +2/-3
    • View Profile
Re: Faster Than Light (IC, It's about time)
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2016, 11:36:13 pm »
Collin and Charo

The guy behind the bar slams two greasy, smudged glasses on the table in front of you, his eyes never leaving Collin's. "Well, what the fuck do you want?" He points up at the menu flickering on the display above him.

The porno on the display kicks back on just in time for one of the girls on the screen to let out a loud yelp as a pixellated, grainy shape  has a go at her, and everyone jumps slightly. The tension, however, is broken, and most of the other patrons turn back to their previous conversations, filling the room with noise.

Over the din, you barely hear the grinding of the door closing, and Collin notices from the corner of his eye that the group of men who'd  been plainly talking about you when you entered are no longer at their table, having moved over near the doorway.

(Not gonna bother rolling Collin's perception on this one)
Gone. Cheers guys.

Wheel-Son

  • POST LORD
  • **********
  • Posts: 2,312
  • Dapperness +15/-53
  • Location: i dunno man above ground
    • View Profile
Re: Faster Than Light (IC, It's about time)
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2016, 01:37:34 am »
Charognarde had the "Meat of the Day","Th' grub's not half bad, reminds me of home t'be honest."" he looks at the group of men at the door, he speaks in a low voice to collin, "Cor, it's the cunts that were talkin' about us. They're blockin' the door."
I am no longer legitimately considering leaving this forum

A Blitzkrieg of Butts

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 326
  • Dapperness +5/-4
  • Attacking you with butts since 2016
  • Location: St. Paul
    • View Profile
Re: Faster Than Light (IC, It's about time)
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2016, 10:42:26 am »
"Ill just have some damn booze." He mumbles, also noticing the guys at the door. "Yeah, I see that." He said, trying to get a better look at them.
Every tuba you touch melts into cats.

How the fuck do you dream in ASCII?

Quote from: Sir Loin of Beef
Are we in need of an unfortunate accident involving a sound system and an errant 120mm shell?

guest48

  • Guest
Re: Faster Than Light (IC, It's about time)
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2016, 11:26:29 am »
"I've had worse.   Now if you'll excuse me, I'd rather get out of here and meet our current captain.   Hopefully before the good doctor gets back."   Camille says, giving a quick salute to Snow and McCall before heading up to the bridge.

Siege-Loli

  • Admin
  • God Teir
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,290
  • Dapperness +14/-4
  • ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Resident Lolicon
  • Location: Indianapolis, Indiana
    • View Profile
Re: Faster Than Light (IC, It's about time)
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2016, 03:20:56 pm »
Mark sat back into his chair before he gave the word, "Begin the jump."
There is probably no more terrible instance of enlightenment than the one in which you discover your father is a man with human flesh.

Forrest

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 925
  • Dapperness +20/-3
  • Gof'nn Hupadgh Shub-Niggurath
    • View Profile
Re: Faster Than Light (IC, It's about time)
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2016, 04:06:02 pm »
Locke's hand slowly lowered as the captain sat back into his chair and gave the order for the jump. "Hm. Well. Alr#ght then." He grumbled, pacing a bit to the nearest console, which he began to lean on to wait out the little journey.
Area Record 1782:
Date: 08/29/██

Event: An elderly human feeding itself to a group of kakapo. Did not express pain, appeared ambivalent.

ApatheticExcuse

  • God Teir
  • *
  • Posts: 1,043
  • Dapperness +2/-3
    • View Profile
Re: Faster Than Light (IC, It's about time)
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2016, 11:31:22 pm »
The Bridge

A shadow falls across the ship's command center as the massive slab of steel that acts as a blast shield slowly slides down over the viewport, blocking out the ambient light of the Solar system's star. From somewhere below you, several alarms begin, the klaxon ringing throughout the bridge for several seconds before being silenced by the crew as they make whatever adjustments had been required.

The blast shield locks in to place with a thud that is noticeable even through the meter of reinforced transparent alloy the comprises the viewport, and the ship itself seems as though it begins to vibrate with a barely audible hum. Suddenly, it feels as though something inside of you shudders, the hum stops, and for a moment, you are filled with a vague, intangible sense of loss.

A beep sounds to the right of the Captain's chair, and the displays monitoring the engine levels increase astonishingly as plasma floods their reactors. Speed indicators skyrocket, indicating a velocity that seems almost absurd, before finally surrendering and simply displaying:

WARP



Camille and Roland

As Camille enters the lift, Snow turns to Roland. "We might as well go up too, I'm not any more excited for a conversation with..."

She is interrupted by a noticeable humming sound that suddenly pervades every corner of the room. "Aw, shit." she mutters, immediately sitting on the floor. Something inside your skull seems to snap, and you are filled with a dizzying sense of emptiness, which lasts for several seconds. It disappears as quickly as it came, and is replaced by a slight vibration that passes calmly through the deck beneath your feet.

Snow stands again, looking visibly uncomfortable, and launches into a long coughing fit. "I'm getting to old for this shit."



Collin and Charo

The bartender slides your plates into a bucket at the end of the counter unceremoniously, and turns to some petty task behind the counter, ignoring any further requests you might have, while you turn to inspect the men near the door.

They are absolutely coated in varying levels of filth and ugliness, but share several features: They are very large, covered in scars, and are staring at you with what cannot be mistaken for anything besides malicious intent. Collin immediately recognizes the scars as tribal style markings common among members of some of the multi-generational macrocannon crews found on ships like this. By their size and the number of markings, they are plainly veterans of several combats, something rare in a group of individuals where life expectancy while on active duty is usually measured in weeks. They do not appear to be armed, and it's a very safe bet that whatever weapons they do have will not likely include firearms, given that men of their standing are not generally entrusted with real weaponry.

Five of them begin to advance towards you. "You fucks come to the wrong bar," the man in front growls, "I think it's time we help you..."

He is cut-off by an ear-shattering buzz that bursts into the room. Behind you, the bartender yells out something that you can't quite make out. Before you can even consider reacting, the buzzing is replaced by a distinctly mechanical scream that reaches into your bowls and sets your brain on fire. This is replaced by a huge, overwhelming feeling of crushing despair that sweeps through you, making you nauseous. It leaves after a minute or two, being replaced with the inescapable feeling that something, some essential, human part of you, has been ripped out and taken with it. The bar shakes slightly, causing the plates and glasses spread around it to clatter about, before this too passes.

All over the room, the other patrons react poorly to this - a young man in the corner, plainly on his first interstellar trip, vomits violently before collapsing on the floor, and you think you can hear the bartender crying softly. Suddenly, "meat of the day" and some "booze" seem like even more poorly advised choices than they did previously.

The large, angry men in front of you don't seem to be affected quite as badly, being relatively used to the effects of the ship's mass modification drive, and they begin to regain their feet. If anything, they look even madder, rather than sick. "YOU STUPID FUCKS!" The leader stumbles forward towards you, and it's apparent that you only have seconds before all five are back in fighting form.



The Iliad

The ship is now at warp, and should arrive at the Verin System.



((Ok, so, right at this second, no one has much to do until Blitz and Wilson act - at least, nothing that requires me is planned. Talk to eachother, ask questions of Snow, poke around the rooms, whatever. Things will come back together in a bigger scheme after they post, and then I'll likely time skip the rest of the warp if no one has anything they want to do or see on the ship. Up to you guys.

BTW, I rolled willpower to see how you guys would deal with the transition, and suffice to say you should all make a conscious effort to not be anywhere near the warp drives whenever you go to warp. I am not going to apply the effects to whatever happens in the bar, simply because both our heroes in there would likely lose the potential fight if I did, and I want a relatively informational combat to happen so I can tweak my mechanics. Please check the OOC thread for a quick rundown on combat.))
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 11:45:54 pm by ApatheticExcuse »
Gone. Cheers guys.

RedVulnus

  • POST LORD
  • **********
  • Posts: 2,312
  • Dapperness +20/-4
    • View Profile
Re: Faster Than Light (IC, It's about time)
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2016, 11:52:27 pm »
Roland nodded, readjusting his hat that had tilted itself on his head during the warp. "Son of a- err, I mean that was painful. You're not the only one getting too old for this." Roland started towards the lift as he continued "and you're right, neither of us are excited for a conversation with the captain and his friends. Though for my part it's 'cause some of the captains buddies remind me of some things I'd rather leave in the past and I don't know if he'll want a man of god on board, we tend to have some requirements of our bosses. But we gotta get this done so sooner than later right?"

 

NOCTIFER IS A FAGGOT